Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Toxic Popcorn Butter Flavoring

I just watched this on the news. It really pisses me off when this crap happens. And it's happening way to much...So now we are finally finding out (after workers and people got lung disease) that the butter flavoring in popcorn is a artificial chemical called Diacetyl.
It is used for aroma and taste in butter, some cheeses and snack and bakery products. In tests at NIOSH, laboratory rats that breathed high concentrations of vapors from butter flavoring, including diacetyl, developed significant airway damage.
Health officials are also investigating the safety of workers exposed to other flavoring agents including acetaldehyd (used in citrus flavoring) and bensaldehyde (common cherry and fruit flavors).

From what I have read a few workers settled out of court for a large sum of money. They now have lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans or chronic scarring of the airways. It has been named popcorn worker lung in the press because of how popular this disease has got. Many of the workers lungs are so bad they are on a lung transplant list. OMG imagine that! How sad! And the big CEO'S don't even care. I pray GOD makes these kind of people pay one day! I own my own business and when I get employees I swear I will treat them like gold. I would never ever ever, no matter how rich I got, ever put someones life and health at risk. Rarrrrrrrrr....

The workers charged that butter flavor manufacturers failed to warn of the dangers from using butter flavoring in the production of microwave popcorn and other food products. Well of course they did. Money is truly the root of all evil! The bible even says so. So here are all these people and parents microwaving popcorn on family night or at the movies and they have NO CLUE that the flavor is so toxic.

Why can't we eat whole foods, organic, natural and fresh? Personally, I would never buy or eat that crap, even before I knew about this. But i'm very picky when it comes to food and feeding my family. We will not be victims to this poisonous food dilemma.

No comments: